April 25, 2013
Update! Proving that Photosmith users are the smartest and best around we’ve received nearly 30 very well qualified volunteers! Thank you so much for that! We’ll set up the ‘winners’ this week and get this party started.
Well, we’re finally there! At last we’re ready to officially start the beta program! But fear not, this doesn’t mean we are still a long way away from release (we hope) like in past cycles…
In the past we started betas too early and wasted our tester’s time with crap builds and thus didn’t get very good test coverage at the end when we really needed it. So we resolved to do better this time:
So what we’re doing differently this time is wait until we are 99.5% there to start the beta. We think this build is really close to being an actual release candidate.
So… we are asking you, dear readers, for 10 volunteers to help us really work the app over hard and smash it to bits to make sure it’s really as solid as we think it is.. To be clear, this isn’t a chance to play with new goodies for free like our Adobe brethren are able to do. No, we are asking for volunteers dedicated to helping make sure this app works no matter how crazy your workflow is.
Your contributions will decide if tens of thousands of photographers the world over will keep or lose their most precious pictures. This is not an assignment for the flippant…
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to:
- Jump through the hoops Apple makes us go through to enroll iPad test devices (TestFlight makes this as easy as possible but it’s still a bit of a hassle)
- Import, Export, and Sync your precious pictures with Photosmith and test and verify 1,000,000% that everything worked perfectly
- Delete them and test again
- Repeat #2 & 3 a few more times
- Report back to us detailed testing results. (How many files you tested, how you verified the files, any problems encountered, etc.)
To be blunt: this is testing that will require a fastidious nature. If you’ve ever muttered the phrase “good enough for government work” this probably isn’t the job for you.
- Apple places a strict limit on the total number of devices we can register for testing. This limit only resets once per year so we have to be very picky about who we choose. Unfortunately, we can’t just take the approach of letting 10,000 folks test and hope we covered it all. Besides, managing that many people is impractical. So, we’re looking for about 10 folks.
- A hallmark of this release is it’s flexibility with different workflows. Preference will be given to folks that can test the esoteric stuff (WiFi grips, Eye-Fi, FTP upload, etc.) as well as the traditional Shoot>Download>Import>Tag>Sync or Lightroom>Sync>Tag>Sync workflows
- The deadline for volunteering is midnight EDT, 28-April, that’s this Sunday.
What’s in it for you?
First and foremost, you’ll have our eternal gratitude. This is one of those things that we just can’t do properly without community help. Second, if you don’t already have Photosmith we’ll give you a free copy. Third, you’ll have the thanks and praise of everyone else too. Finally, we’ll thank you publicly as a friend and contributor to Photosmith (optional, if you’re the shy type).
Signup here: Please tell us why you would be a good tester, any previous experience you have with testing, what model iPad you have, what cameras you shoot with, what operating system you run, Lightroom version, and about how many hours you think you can volunteer to testing.
Signup is closed. We are now sorting through the applications and narrowing our selections to a manageable few. Thank you so much for the all of the enthusiastic help!