October 12, 2012
Version 2.2.1 of the app was approved by Apple and released in the App Store today.
Version 2.2 included some big under-the-hood changes for iOS6. Because of that, a few new bugs were introduced that needed attention after iOS6 shipped – it’s a constant race to keep up with Apple’s iOS updates (as well as Lightroom!). Version 2.2.1 addresses all the issues that we knew of, plus a few more random bugs. Notably, we spent a lot of time on keywords – those with complex keywords were having trouble. We also spent some time with sync speed, which was greatly improved in the latest plugin.
The biggest bug that was fixed was the images just disappearing at random when you restarted the app or rescanned pictures. It took a while to track down, and the problem ended up being a bug in Apple’s Photos library code. Essentially, we would check to see if the pictures were still around – a simple “is this photo equal to the existing one”, and if not, remove it from the catalog. But as it turns out, the “isEqual” method provided by Apple for that library doesn’t actually work… Developers reading this will understand what a fundamental oversight this is on Apple’s part; however, at the end of the day, the problem is now ours to solve. We submitted the bug to Apple and worked around it in the meanwhile.
In an upcoming post, we’re going to talk about this more and big plans to change how we manage pictures internally going forward.
So where are we heading next? The past few releases have been purely focused on bug fixes. In fact, we released an update every three weeks for the past 6 versions – all minor updates, addressing bugs as reported to us by users. And now, we feel that 2.2.1 is our best release yet. Enough that we’re going to pull back a little and focus on new development going forward. Some will be visual and some will be big changes to how we manage pictures, but all of it is designed to make the app better.
Stay tuned for more info.
• Fixed bug where images would all disappear or be inconsistent on app resume or image rescan. This was caused by Apple's photos API incorrectly failing it's own equality tests.
• Fixed keyword processing to address possible issue with keywords being deleted, duplicated at the root level, or not synced at all
Other important fixes:
• Added an alphabetical slider to the keyword Hierarchy list
• Changed Grid quick index scrolling to scroll by rows instead of section headings and fixed scaling problem where last few sections weren't reachable
• Updated iOS 6 Photo access prompts
• Fixed bug where Sync Now button would flash on/off
• Added support for GPS coordinates when importing from LR.
• Fixed random crash when scrolling the grid caused by thumbnails that were too slow to load from iOS by adding a guard against slow thumbnails.
• Fixed potential crash after connection from eyeFi with invalid card ID
• Fixed bug where keywords could not be deleted from inside the app
• Fixed iOS6 bug where the Photos app error alert wouldn't clear out the error state
• Fixed iOS6 bug where welcome screen background would be rotated incorrectly