August 22, 2012
Version 2.1.3 was uploaded to Apple late last week. It has a whole raft of goodies for everybody! We’ll notify everybody via the blog and Twitter once Apple approves the updates.
There’s no new features in this release but the biggest bug fixes are:
- Fixed keyword problems with unicode characters
- Fixed many localization issues with date/times (ie. grid, loupe, etc.)
- Fixed many rotation issues
- Fixed many UI bugs and thumbnail dragging issues including lockup and orphaned thumbnails
- Fixed many sync stability issues
- Fixed internal uniqueID issue that caused several sync problems, black tiles in Loupe, and other issues.
Please note: Photosmith v2.1.3 will require you to update the plugin to 2.1.3 also before you can sync. We will release the new plugin shortly before the update goes live in iTunes.
Version 2.1.3 is the bug fix release that we had hoped 2.0.1 would be…. We’ve finally gotten to the point where we’re able to do things on our schedule instead of constantly reacting to other’s impetus (although iOS 6 is threatening to derail our progress slightly). We have also benefited mightily from a few dedicated users who have really put in a huge amount of effort to help us find some of the deep and nagging problems that have been so elusive to track down. Claudio and Mike, thank you! You shouldn’t have had to do this but we’re all grateful you have.
A lot of folks assume that since all iPads are roughly equal and that we only sync with Lightroom that everything should be exactly the same for everyone. And since everything is predictable and reproducible any bug that someone encounters is something we must have known about or we just didn’t bother testing. Unfortunately, that is just not true. We have run into some of the weirdest things you’d never believe and we have plenty of support cases that prove otherwise….
On the other hand, the customer’s expectation is that it should “just work” and that is reasonable so that’s why bug releases like this one have happen. It doesn’t matter that things are inconsistent, it’s our job to deal with all of that. So we dedicate weeks of coding to nothing but finding every crazy scenario (and some that aren’t so crazy but we just missed), fix them, and then test the crap out of them. Sometimes, it’s something simple that we should have caught but just never thought of… Like the thumbnail dragging bug that our own Neeley Will found. If you drag and drop with a single finger (like we imagined) everything is fine, but if you happen to drop a second finger down (which most people didn’t realize was happening) while dragging and pause long enough everything went bananas. “Oops”
So, without further ado, here is our official full release notes. (The version in iTunes will be abridged but we spill all of our guts for our loyal readers…)
- Fixed bug where keywords would sometimes be incorrectly split up upon import
- Fixed bug where some imported images wouldn’t import correctly due to required database flush
- Fixed bug for photos in some rotated configurations that cause random blocks to display in Loupe / Fullscreen
- Fixed bug where the status in EyeFi was incorrect after selecting a new card ID
- Fixed bug where the metadata fields would sometimes report <2 values> when only one image is selected
- Added guard for keyword deletion when keyword is possibly null
- Fixed collection offset when dragging images to drop into collection and collection list is scrolled
- Fixed bug where metadata would be extracted twice, once again in the background after the main one ran
- Fixed memory leak that would grow during sync, causing 1000+ image syncs to crash
- Fixed bug where app may crash in certain situations when purging
- Fixed bug where app may lockup when dragging and dropping items that may be offscreen in the grid
- Fixed bug where re-scanning photos would sometimes not properly remove un-selected photos
- Re-worked display for headers in grid view to display proper date/time formatting for international dates
- Added refresh of date/time display in grid/loupe upon app resume so that settings changes would be immediately updated
- When selecting a keyword, the search box is now cleared to match keyword creation behavior
- Added secondary sorting field for filename, so that subsecond sequential shots would be sorted by date and then by filename
- Added guard for reported crashes during thumbnail loading
- Minor speed improvement to Reject flag speed in certain circumstances
- Re-worked unique identifier for photos throughout app. Addresses problems with duplicate images, black tiles, and other random weirdness
- Added alert for auto-enabling of Camera Roll for Lightroom and EyeFi syncs